Monday, January 26, 2015

Beginnings



"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."- Arthur Ashe

This was the first time in a long time that I allowed myself an off-season, not running 5 days a week, instead taking time to rebuild myself after going year round for 3-plus years.
Time was spent practicing yoga, getting back in the gym working to rebuild some strength lost while focusing on running, and in the end just relaxing.  Allowing myself slow mornings of coffee and reading before going to work, not pushing out the door for what sometimes turned into tired, junk miles.
But now that time is over, and I am starting to ramp up again with a body and mind that feels much fresher than in years past.
That quote from Arthur Ashe can be taken many different ways, for me I think of my running.   Everyone has to start somewhere, whether coming back after some time off, or stepping out the door for the first time.  You can wish you were in better shape, had trained harder, been more physically gifted, but you're not.  You have to start right where you are.
Use what you have, build up to where you want to be, it's all a process.  Nothing happens overnight. 
Do what you can, maybe it's just a mile today, maybe it's 10.  It's all about where you are, do what you can, come back to it the next day and do what you can that day.
As I start to ramp up my miles again I have to remember that I am not in the type of shape to put up huge mileage weeks like I was in September leading into the Superior 100.  If I tried that now my body would break down and I'd end up injured.  But I know that I can get one good longish run in each week, and the next week extend it out a little further.  Use the fitness I have today to get better tomorrow.
The first stage in this building process will be the Trail Mix 50K in late April, followed by the Superior 50K in mid-May with a backpacking trip to Zion National Park in between.  My goal for this season is to race, not run these events.  To really push myself, not for a time goal per say but to see what I can do, I know I can finish the distances but to find out how hard I can push myself.
After Superior work kicks in and limits my summer racing, but I plan to use this time wisely to build a base of training and strength for the next stage in the fall.  First will be pacing Ali through her first, and my 8th, Twin Cities Marathon.  Then I plan to tackle the Wild Duluth 100K, a distance I have yet to try.
But it all starts right here, where I am today, and if I focus on getting better today, tomorrow and the rest will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment