Friday, July 19, 2013

Flow Rida

"Flow occurs when you're in a situation where you're doing something extremely difficult & have the skills to meet the challenge & focus to ignore all else."

A 430 alarm clock, followed by a 5am bus, flight at 715, finally back in the cities and headed home by 930 but the urge to keep moving was strong.
Dropped off my suitcase, grabbed my backpack and tent, threw some food in a cooler, packed trail running shoes and gear, back in the car, heat pounding the tan leather.  Windows down, radio up, navigate through the Sunday afternoon traffic, find the highway, point the Silver Fox north, cruise control, tension leaves the temples & shoulders as rubber meets the road with the right rhythm.
After two and a half hours, the big lake comes into view, no matter how many times I see it, that first view always stuns me.
The road begins to wind down toward the lake, out of memory pick my way along to the campground along the St. Louis River.  Check in with the hippie guy who runs the joint, grab some firewood and head to my site, a little walk in spot close to the river, away from the giant RV's that are tethered to their power supply's.
Within moments the tent is set up, and I realize I need bug spray stat.
Back in the car & headed to downtown, wander around the waterfront for a while, watch the ships, walk to the lighthouse, observe the tourists, of which I guess I am one.
The sky  gray and hung low in the sky over, dark clouds spilling over the hill and tumbling towards the water so close that looking up it was like looking at the underside of a giant ore ship.
A table for one on the balcony, strange look from the hostess, but the view was perfect.  Eavesdropping through dinner... people have a lot of complain about.
Apricot wheat at Fitgers, pickup bug-spray, build a fire despite the fact it was in the high 80's, just seemed right.
Eventually fell asleep on top of my sleeping bag to the sounds of the slow moving river.
Birds, lots of loud birds, better than an alarm clock, more sound, light rain peppering the tent, pack quick as I can dodge drops & mosquitoes.
Cup of coffee, follow directions to the trailhead.  Shoes, hydration pack, visor, food, drop into the woods on the trail.
Quickly find the rhythm, the flow, let myself go to the trail, it carries me south, hopping rocks to cross multiple streams, finally path flattens out.  Follow signs to Superior Hiking Trail, lots of climbing, smiling, power-hiking.
Tall, wet grass cleans my shoes, cleanses my mind, picking up the feet to avoid tripping, views of nothing but trees, broken only by small lakes or streams.
Skies clearing, temps rising, pop out on crest of a hill, nothing but woods in every direction, body feels strong, energized, drink, eat, drop back onto trail, fall into the flow.
Loop around, look at watch, been two hours, where did the time go?
Begin journey back even though don't want to...find power lines, up then down, then up again...my goodness they weren't joking these are going to be a challenge, but man right now they are a lot of fun.
Trail ejects me out onto a paved bike path; look around confused in search of where it picks up again.  Get weird looks from middle-aged tourist bikers.  Realize how dirty I have become in past two and a half hours, laugh, find trail and now power back up to the Silver Fox.
Find it, not ready to be done yet, cross road, roll along trail over old railroad bridges, find an old railroad tunnel through the rock, remember it from a race last year, hike up to the top of Ely's Peak.
Sit, I am at the same level as the hawks floating on the wind gusts, far to the east Lake Superior, to the south St. Louis River, 360 degree view, woods broken by the occasional road, turn north, sun on my face and skin relaxes every ounce of my being.
Sun, silence and scenery, mind clear, body relaxed yet energized. 
Can't wait to be back here in two weeks for the Voyager 50miler.




No comments:

Post a Comment