Monday, April 1, 2013

Buffet Of Races

Much like an Easter Sunday brunch buffet, when it comes to running sometimes my eyes can be bigger than my stomach (or stronger than my legs as the case may be) Every year I try to plan out a running schedule that will allow me to test myself with a number of events, pushing the distance and hopefully still allowing for recovery in between. The goal is to get to a certain level of fitness, maintain that level with different distances and events throughout the summer. Sometimes it works out great where I maintain that level and excel, other times I get too excited and add in too many events, not allowing for proper recovery and totally gas myself. Last summer things were moving along quite well, I posted a person best in the 50K in April, did an Olympic Tri in June, missing a PB by a few minutes, beat my time at the Mount Hood 50 by nearly an hour in July, and then ran my 2nd fastest time at the Twin Cities Marathon in October and two weeks later limped to a 7:36 finish in the Wild Duluth 50K, clearly showing that with little recovery time between racing a marathon and attempting the up & down tract of the Superior Hiking Trail was not my smartest idea. But I loved it, in fact as much fun as the Mt Hood race was, the way I literally felt like I flew through parts of it, the cheering and support of my family, the beauty of the course and the struggle of the last three miles. That Wild Duluth 50K was my favorite race of the year. It was the one that I thought about least and hadn't even planned on doing it until the week leading up to it. I worked late Friday night, got up at 3am drove through the fog to Duluth, challenged myself to the brink, nearly quit with three miles left only to dig down and find something I didn't know I had to not only finish but finish strong. Then hop in my car and drive back to the cities to be at work the next day. I love that feeling of pushing to the brink, being on top of Duluth in an absolute mental battle and looking down at the City going on as if nothing was happening in the hills above. It reminded me that Ultra's are not about glory or prizes, but about challenging yourself and finishing. Two weeks prior I finished Twin Cities to a crowd of thousands, crossing the finish line while being shown on a big jumbotron, my name was boomed out through the speakers. A medal placed around my neck, every sort of food and drink available as I limped to find my family and drop bag. In Duluth it was me and another guy not racing to the end, but helping each other get there. There was no jumbotron to announce our finish, in fact there were barely any people at the finish line (and we didn't really know when we were actually done) There was no medal, I was handed a soup cup/bowl as my finishing prize (much more useful than a medal I must say) I laid in the grass a few feet away from the guy who I crossed the finish line with. I thanked him for helping me when I was mentally crushed, he thanked me for the same. We shook hands, I got in my car and left. This summer I have decided that is what I want more of, the simplicity of that challenge, pushing to the brink, surrounded by good people, and connecting with nature. It starts again with the Hyland 50K, the next week I plan to spend some time on the Superior Hiking trail, hiking, then a 100 Mile bike ride back in the Cities. After that, a trip to Isle Royale to hike it end to end, in July a 50K to start the month and a 50miler to end it. Hoping for a 100K in October. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, the eyes may be too big for the strength of my legs, but nothing makes you feel as good as knowing that and yet finding a way to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment